1. Traffic â€“ get them to your site.
2. Conversion â€“ get them to respond
Know Your Audience â€“ speak in their jargon, write for 4th graders
- Keep navigation simple â€“ allow users to easily navigate the site.
- Response or load time â€“ needs to be quick.
- Visually highlight â€œCalls to Actionâ€, ie, phone numbers, buy now, etc.
- Keep you pages short â€“ try to avoid scrolling, only 10% will scroll.
- Avoid lots of text – break up long pages with more nav or link options.
- Allow for scanning â€“ use short sentences, headlines, bullet/numbered lists.
- Check spelling and grammar â€“ donâ€™t look like a dummy.
- Footer navigation â€“ donâ€™t leave them hanging- site map, contact, etc.
- Contact info on all pages!
- flash designs
- auto audio
- links to external pages
- too much movement
- intro splash pages
- tiny fonts
- too many social networking buttons